Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

for the love of a good cat...and veggie burger



HOW TO:  I was reading yesterday about how most veggie burgers are these boring and rubbery, yet dry, hockey pucks.  It doesn't have to be this way!

I have a favorite veggie burger recipe that is easy and wicked good.  I made them yesterday to put into tortillas with guac, but they were big so we didn't bother making the tortillas to go with them, just laid them on greens with tomato and the guac.  so they look like boobies.
GADDAWN that is tasty ....

Gary's guac: lazy way--slice and dice the avocado into a bowl, then add some salsa and/or hot sauce, lemon or lime juice, mash with a fork.

Gary's damn easy veggie burger:  boil a cup of brown rice, per usual but with some extra water, adding a drained 15 oz can of black beans, spice, and some veggies about halfway through (and more water if you need it---the veggies I added yesterday was some spinach, and a couple of small handfuls of frozen corn and broccoli). (there will be more rice mixture than you need)

For 2 people, use a covered microwave dish with a TBS of water in it, cube a sweet potato into 8-12 pieces and microwave:  first for 2 1/2 mins, stir pieces, then about 1 1/2 mins.  It should be hot and soft.

Scoop the sweet potato pieces and some spoonfuls of the rice mix into your blender or whatever, and give it a whirl.  It should be pretty well mixed, sticky and mushy. I like to make sure it still has nice chunks of rice and veggie.

Form into 4 patties and fry like any old burger!



4 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

great sounding recipe, I bet the sweet potato really helps hold it all together. I have made black bean veggie burgers in the past, but had trouble with crumbling, even though they weren't dry.

Barbara Rogers said...

Kissing Spike with a glass of vino looks like the good life!

Lori Buff said...

This sounds really good. I make mine with Quinoa and they are not dry like many store-bought veggie burgers. I’ll have to try these.

smalltownme said...

Awww, Spike!

Nothing better than a guacamole burger, of any kind.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.