Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, September 8, 2014

the only thing cuter than a BEAGLE is a beagle PUPPY




Our dog Penny was found without a collar in an April snowstorm 7 1/2 years ago.  It was evident she had just given birth to puppies.  She ended up at the county shelter where I was a volunteer.  No owner was looking for a beagle mother.  She was not ill or abused or starving or injured, just lost (beagles are not obedient labradors, they have to be fenced and leashed)---and I have always hoped her story went like this:  she had her puppies in a nice family's house, and one day saw a squirrel and took off and ran 100 miles, through one county to another... and thus to the shelter and us.

I would have loved to see her puppies.  It makes a GREAT subject for a sculptor, don't you think?



(new sculpture by Gary Rith)

Speaking of beagle puppies....

7 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

So glad to know how you and Penny got together...and I really enjoyed puppy beagle! Sculpture is a real winner!

Lori Buff said...

All puppies are cute, especially beagle puppies. Good advice about them being leashed or fenced. They will follow their noses to the ends of the earth.

Cheri @ Blog This Mom!® said...

I love the Penny story! It made me think of Rafiki. He was a found puppy. I think Penny's pups were safely born and adopted too. Silly Penny chasing squirrels!

Cassi said...

I am really enjoying your wall sculptures --I think some of these may be going on my Christmas gift list!

Today at a work meeting, one of my colleagues was cuddling a several-day old kitten. She raises and shows Main Coon cats, and the mom had rejected this one. There is nothing in the world quite as wonderful as kittens and puppies :-)

Busy Bee Suz said...

I had no idea that Penny was also a Mama. Perhaps she decided those little puppies were too much work and decided on a life of fun?? LOL.
I do like your scenario though. Glad she ended up with YOU!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Sweet Penny! Sweet Gary for taking her in. Love the puppy howl. Roooooo Roooooo!

JB said...

Love the puppy howl!
I can make my dogs wag their tails by saying "thump thump thump" which is the sound their wagging makes against the couch.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.