Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

the macho man makes molasses muffins...



Ever wanted to use that expression with DEFINITE KNOWLEDGE?  You know, "slower than molasses in January"?
Cold cold cold windy day Tuesday where it feels like an ACCOMPLISHMENT merely taking the dog out for a tinkle.  So cold your rambunctious little beagle runs outside looking for fun and within a minute she is shivering at the back door, a VERY RARE moment.

I was outside all morning, at the store, getting the haircut, going to the county dump then working on pots in preparation for a bisque.  It was a different matter in the afternoon.

Other than taking the dog out and vaguely feeling like I was slacking because the studio is so cold and the outdoors so cold and it is so hard to do anything other than drink tea in bed and read a mystery, MAKING MUFFINS feels like a very big accomplishment.

These are my favorite muffin of the moment, so simple, gluten-free, no dairy, based originally on another recipe, I have made adjustments so they are more moist, tasty and fun!  Makes 6 BIG muffins, easily doubled!*



*Gary's version of rice flour muffins

-preheat to 425, prepare 6 muffin tin with either paper liners or a little oil..the older I get, the more I like the NO FUSS no mess of paper muffin/cupcake liners

Ingredients:
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup soy milk
2 Tbs molasses
2 Tbs canola oil
1/3 cup apple sauce
1 cup brown rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

In large mixing bowl, stir the egg to beat it, then add the rest of the ingredients in order, stirring them in.  Then when it is all nicely stirred, add 1/2 cup, more or less either chopped apple or cranberries, blueberries, raisins, or craisins plus a half cup of nuts...whatever you like!
Bake about 17-20 minutes, when a toothpick inserted comes out clean, you can sprinkle the top with cinnamon or nutmeg sugar then let muffins cool a minute or 2 then pull out to cool on wire rack.

You can slice them and eat them after 15-20 minutes, yummo! FINALLY, let's warm up with one of my favorite tunes EV-AH... Chrissie Hynde = Smokin' hawt...

 

6 comments:

Janet said...

Gary, that is one of my fav Pretenders songs too! Precious ties with it. I’m making those muffins this morning!

smartcat said...

The muffins sound YUMMY! Guess I better get some brown rice flour.
Cold indeed! If the sun is out I have about a two hour window of work time in my studio. It's supposed to get warmer, relatively speaking, by the end of the week!

cookingwithgas said...

I love molasses, don't you? I add it for some extra punch in my granola. But, put it on top of a warm biscuit or corn muffin.....yummy.

Lori Buff said...

I was baking bread and making soup, gotta warm the house and the soul on freezing cold days.

Anonymous said...

Stuck in the house, literally since Sunday. Happy to have heat! Big Jimmie has to be pushed out the door as he falls to his shoulders in the snow. DH shoveled a place for him to pee, but he doesn't like it. I have been cooking cooking, cooking. My excuse, it helps to warm the house. Warming up today, thank heavens. The joy of living on 20 acres with a very long drive way.

ALBUG

smalltownme said...

Mmmmmmmm!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.