Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, January 4, 2014

stately toes

Snow flakes.

 BY EMILY DICKINSON

 I counted till they danced so
 Their slippers leaped the town –
 And then I took a pencil
 To note the rebels down –
 And then they grew so jolly
 I did resign the prig –
 And ten of my once stately toes
 Are marshalled for a jig!


 

The guy on the radio said that Friday's high was ten below. Plus the wind, made it feel like 26 below.
I loved the sunshine!
But the chickens I was caring for? Their water froze solid and I worried terribly about them.  Their family came back from Puerto Rico *safely and without delay and took over, thank goodness! Those chickens were so friendly, you wouldn't want them to suffer. *PR 80 degrees, here -10 is a 90 degree difference, WHOA.
I did not go out much, myself, which is VERY unusual.
Penny can't understand why we didn't walk, just stepped out and back in quickly.
Today, a more temperate 19 degrees, and Sunday, 30s, what a relief!'
But they tell us even colder starting Monday...AH, January in upstate NY....thank goodness I don't live in North Dakota!

Pen and ink and pencil drawings of my girl...have a great Saturday yourself!

(drawing by Gary Rith)

9 comments:

~ Sil in Corea said...

You were right to worry about those chickens! It got down to -30 F one winter and our hens' feet froze to the perch. :-(

Keep warm! Your art is getting better and better!

bartster said...

Great drawings! So much expression and "economy". I'm wondering if you'll be drawing chickens.

smartcat said...

I bet Penny wouldn't want to stay our very long if you gave her a chance. Glad the chickens are okay.
It's quite cold enough for us here, thank you! I think you are brave to live where you do.
Most of my family is in New Hampshire, Vermont and upstate New York.....except for a great niece who is sensible and lives in Hawaii!
Stay warm....love where your drawings are going!

Michèle Hastings said...

Poor chickens. Glad they survived the cold.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Yikes! Maybe you need to think about Key West again. Or come visit us in Tampa!

Anonymous said...

Poor chickens! What is "too cold" for them, anyway?

klineola said...

Some of my chickens roost in a walnut tree, i guess they are somewhat feral. But with the wind blowing and snow coming down I worried a little. Even tried to get them down. Couldn't shake'em. So they spent the night there. All are fine. But tomorrow and Tuesday are supposed to be super cold. I'll have to meet them at the tree at dusk and put them in their coop.

Chickens are pretty hearty and can stand pretty cold temps. But frostbite on their combs can be harmful.
Cheers!

Busy Bee Suz said...

The chickens were in good-caring hands! Stay warm Gary!

Caroline said...

After seeing all that snow and ice I am not going to complain next week when we get over 40 degrees Celcius again. The other night I dreamt that instead of two brown chickens we had two brown cows. They had the same names. One of them went missing and my son and I had to go searching the streets for her.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.