Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

speaking of those strawberries...

I am NOT one of those people you see heading out to camp, charging through the weeds, the hot sun, the cold rain, the BUGS, the dirt and mud.  I sure do like a good day hike or bike, but ppppft...getting down and dirty?  NO.  Ditto farming and gardening!  The wife and I make dozens of jars of jam every year, because I love the kitchen and eating.  She likes to pick berries.  I went along yesterday, as I told you, to Indian Creek farm to help her pick strawberries, which probably involves crawling through mud in a hot buggy field.
I was ready to heroically do what I could to AVOID any such effort, but I was SAVED.  If you buy already picked strawberries there it is just a few pennies a box more (DUH, why then would you bother going out into the field yourself?) BUT for a rock bottom LOW price you can buy their enormous flat of "strawberries for jam" which is like getting bagels half price because they are yesterday's.  Our trip to the farm yesterday took all of 4 minutes AND was cheaper than picking your own AND  a friend happened by and took our pic AND most of the strawberries were perfect in there, so we chose a lot to eat, the rest to chop up for jam....raspberry and blueberry jam require no cutting, which is not true of strawberries....it takes a while....
BTW, we are pictured standing next to their headless St Francis statue...what does that MEAN?
then, of course, I had a cat sitting job with my little friend Puffy...have an awesome day!

10 comments:

Sandra Kohlmann said...

I completely agree: I'l hike all day, but camping? Forget it. I do like to pick strawberries, though. I might take the girls picking today. Or I might work on a new recipe, and then just go to the farmers market and buy some there. I'm pretty sure we'll end up at the market.

Happy cat sitting! I'm jealous. My cats do not like to play. It would be easier to get me to go camping, than it is to get them to play with a cat toy.

smartcat said...

You and M. have found the perfect way to go berrying!
Cute Puffy, with headlight eyes!
P.S. Do you have a favorite jam recipe?

~ Sil in Corea said...

Oh, Yeah! That's a far better deal than grubbing around in the hot sun and dirt!
My cat is not a play-boy, either. He demands skritches or lays on my feet under tha computer. That's about it.

bartster said...

When I eat garden fresh or orchard picked I often think that store bought barely resembles "the real thing". We have lots of strawberry and strawberry kiwi jam. Are you going the freezer jam route? Good stuff!

Lori Buff said...

Yup, you got the deal. Now how do you make your jam?

Michèle Hastings said...

You two look like an advertising poster for the strawberry farm!

Elaine said...

We picked at least 8 quarts of strawberries a few days ago in Arkport, NY. Their fields had beautiful berries. It was miserably hot, though.
I can't wait for cherries and blueberry picking!

soubriquet said...

Cutting? No, you just twist out the stalk and get jamming, surely? The strawb jam of my childhood was full of whole fruits, or is that a rogue memory?

Busy Bee Suz said...

Much easier to let someone else do the hard work; you are a busy man! Puffy is fluffy. :)

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I enjoy camping -- especially if my husband and sons are doing all the work and I'm sitting there in my camp chair with a drink and a book. But I have to agree with you on the best way to go berrying!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.