Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, August 24, 2012

the TIGERs and ME

You will recall that last August and the August before I was invited to Binghamton's Ross Park Zoo, to display and exhibit animal themed items (of course!) during their Feast With the Beasts fundraiser.  People spend, like, 30-35 bucks and can wander the zoo all evening eating donated restaurant food and wine (people drink A LOT of wine) and enjoying an awesome late summer evening, with music and art.  I love it! Who wouldn't????

Last year, as you will recall, I had asked to be in their biggest draw, the TIGER HOUSE, with the tigers.  I arrived.....and the tiger had JUST DIED that very afternoon.  The event had thousands of visitors though, it turned into a wake for the dead tiger. (that is me down there, with that dead tiger's skull...not as big as you might imagine a tiger skull to be, but the fangs are quite large, each bigger than a thumb).

OK, so, guess what?  they restored the tiger house, gorgeous, and this week...got 2 new tigers! from Montana! (since when does Montana have Siberian tigers?????)  They are so shy they won't come out much, as you see, BUT I saw one of the keepers headed down in back...and I followed them and....they let me into the inside of the tiger house....where the tigers are!  Imagine the zoo keeper's area, size of a closet, and right in front of you:  TWO TIGERS! Its all down there in the pics.  A TV crew was wandering around.....


 

6 comments:

smartcat said...

What an appropriately perfect venue for all the Pennys, Godzillas, and assorted animals you make. Toes crossed for a great day!
Can I call tigers sweet and cute? Those two have the look of shy but curious kittens!
BTW I think there are more Siberian Tigers in captivity than in the wild!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I know, you feel awful about these magnificent creatures all boxed up. BUT otherwise maybe they would become extinct. These 2 are destined for breeding, I believe, through the zoo in Philadelphia.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Holy BIG CATS! They're gorgeous.

Have you ever thought about putting a penguin on it?

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I do a very nice penguin indeed, both sculpted and drawn!

Michèle Hastings said...

those are some great photos of the tigers, up close and personal!

Busy Bee Suz said...

You were practically running the zoo. No?
The tigers are gorgeous! I hope they love their new home.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.