Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, January 20, 2012

Red Jewels!!!!


Not rubies or garnets, NO NO! Sweet potato!
BTW, Spike cat cracks you up, doesn't he? Grabbing Penny's leash? She looks so depressed and doleful....

Gary's red jewels curry lentil stew!

The wife had a magazine recipe that was delicious first try last year but a) was more like soup, so I cut the liquid and b) not as spicy as it could be plus c) directions needed to be a little simplified. Here is my take, super EASY, and thank you SUE for traveling to the south and returning with these ginormous sweet potatoes, called RED JEWELS in South Carolina! They are yummy......
Do what you want with the spices and different veggies here, as I did, and it is certain to work beautifully :)

Rinse and pick over 2 cups lentils, per usual. I had a rock in there last week....
In large cook pot saute in oil diced: 2 celery stalks, 2 carrots, one onion, 5 cloves garlic, 2 jalapenos and one bell pepper for about 7-8 minutes. Add one Tbs. curry powder and one Tbs. ground coriander powder, stir around. Add the 2 cups rinsed lentils, stir around, then add 6 cups water and boil. Once boiling, turn down to med-low, covered, about ten minutes. Dice 2 large sweet potatoes, about 1/2 inch cubes, add and cook 15 minutes. Then add a 15-16 oz. can of tomatoes (or one pound fresh, diced!), turn up to high again to start it boiling, then back down---it is according to the original recipe FINISHED at this point, but I simmered it on the very lowest stove temp. for another 45 minutes until we were ready for dinner. I recommend simmering for a little while at least, and taste test. YUM.

7 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

yummmmm is right!

Lori Buff said...

I may make this soup over the weekend since it's going to be rainy here. Sounds yummy and warming (and healthy).

Summer said...

That looks mighty delicious and also beautiful.

smartcat said...

Ohhh....now I know what to do with some of my many sweet potatoes....split pea and sweet potato soup.

Is Spike trying to keep Penny home or go with her? She looks like another tolerant, long-suffering pooch.

Michèle Hastings said...

sounds delicious... sweet potatoes are my favorite!

Hilary said...

Looks yummy and that Spike is a hoot! :)

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I still can't get over the fact that Spike is bigger than Penny...

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.