Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, July 30, 2011

twas the artist market.....:)

As I have said before and many of you know, for about ten years we lived in New Hampshire and nearly every weekend from June-Christmas I was shlepping pots to a farmer's market or art fair of some type. It is tiring and the internet is easier, but I do occasional fairs, like last night, the Ithaca Artist Market. The thing that surprises me about this is
a) the dozens, no, HUNDREDS of people I know and saw yesterday :) HUNDREDS!
b) I received 8 hugs....Nance saw one of them and said she watched me squirm...I usually put out my fist for the bump so that I can get away without people hugging me :)
c) 8 people also told me I am too skinny...but can you ever be too skinny or too rich? I just happen to live in this body, fat or thin, and this is how I am. I doubt, however, that people would be saying "holy cats, do you look FAT!". Interesting society we live in....
d) I did NOT have a single person tell me the old "that's...different" which is the old craft fair saying that makes you roll your eyes, but one lady deep into her beers told me I was doing a lot of weird work, which I thought was funny, as she had BATS, yes bats, on her eyeglasses.
The wife came over later.....anyway, here goes...



Stevo took this high tech awesome shot of me...my booth below---the Ithaca Farmer's Market is a nice permanent structure, and we had a little rain at first, so you stay dry and comfortable.


I am having a hard time moving pics around to caption, so there is Railey in the black dress, Lizzie in the wild hat, Dee and Nance together with the paintings and Stevo and David in my booth goofing around....OH, and Werner and his underwear hanging stuff from the ceiling.....


14 comments:

Nancy L.K. Boyce said...

I think Werner looks too skinny,I look way too fat, and your pottery is looking FABULOUS (the weird thing is what makes it "different")! I hope you had a good night.

gz said...

Looks like a good place to be!

I've started uploading photos singly, so then they arriving in the order I want them!! If you move one, 'copy', go where you want it to be, left click then click on the "move down a line" twice, then move up a line....'paste' then you have somewhere to put your captions!!

Michèle Hastings said...

looks like a great set up.
you may have been called skinny but we know from this blog that you eat very well!

Werner Sun said...

Now the whole world knows ... briefs.

Your booth looked fantastic, Gary!

Unknown said...

What an awesome market and your work looks fab in your booth! Hope it is a great success!

Unknown said...

~note to self~ If you ever meet Gary, a fist bump it will be!

Unknown said...

love it, love it, love it, your display is so great Gary. What a cool Artisan Market, You and Maude are both the bomb...really rocks....!

Summer said...

Hey, your setup looks great! I sold jewelry at markets for a while, or at least, I had my jewelry at markets for a while (someone else did the hard work of selling it for me.), and I know how tough it can be to get everything looking as spiffy as your work looks.

I'm loving your animals with balloons. I like to draw armies of snakes, suspended on balloons and armed with lightning bolts, drifting off to some untold war. Some sketches just never seem to get old.

Anonymous said...

Hey Gary,
I'm as fat as you are skinny. Maybe we should just stand next to each other and nobody would make mention of either of our physiques, eh? ALSO, I love, love, love those bitchin' zebra pots. LOVE.

Jen H

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love that shot of Maude in movement. :)
I think people might tell you that you are skinny because we are all so used to us Americans being overweight. take it as a compliment. :)
Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Suz

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Hope it was a great show! Your booth looks awesome.

Elliot MacLeod-Michael said...

Beautiful work, and I like the old-timey feel of wherever y'all are.
+followed

Elizabeth Grimes said...

Looks amazing! I'd love to spend an afternoon there.

Anonymous said...

Oh to do a show with such nice wood floors for even booth displays! Looks like you had a good crowd...ahh..Itaca...Jen

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.