Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

my name is Gary and I am a fruitaholic

I took the wife to Grisamore farms last night when she got out of work. Nearby and utterly beautiful. If you come to visit me in the growing season, we could go there and stop at the caboose in Groton for ice cream too. You would believe I live in a magical place.

The upshot is this: all winter long I am buying these tiny little packages of raspberries for like 5 bucks each. And you count them onto your breakfast oatmeal: "OK, I can have 6 today, 6 tomorrow then they are gone. Plus 3 in a ratini (my famous raspberry martini as you will recall). SO it is heaven to have a million raspberries all around you! They should have weighed me before and after, like the buckets, so they could charge me for eating berries!

WELL, the berries are growing all around upstate NY, and that is especially true up at Grisamore. The bank clock said it was 90 degrees. It must be VERY difficult being a farmer, 90 degrees late in the evening? What does noontime feel like? We had a blast though, and there were awesome breezes and shade, perfect evening.

The farm has this whole beautiful hilltop, corn, cherries, apples, berries, animals, etc.


The head of the county democratic party.


Mrs Farmer told us these goats are very mischievous. I bet!



Mrs Farmer told us that this is a very very friendly sheep. The wife might get jealous. Poor thing is HOT wearing its wool sweater in 90 degrees.




Lastly, these guys stripped nekkid and were gettin' DOWN on the berries. I know, there is something Garden of Edenish where you DO want to strip nekkid with your sweetie and roll around in raspberries, they smell so good. I did not pick any berries near this lewd and rude couple.....

9 comments:

Lori Buff said...

When we vacationed in NY state we used to pick the wild berries that mom would add to the morning's pancakes. Yumm. Nobody got down in the berries tho, I'm glad for that.

Reverend Awesome said...

GAH! What is with those beetles putting their legs in their air? That's what the ones on our table were doing while doing it.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

I've picked berries in Georgia and it was sweltering. That is one place that I was TOO HOT and blasted the a/c in the SUV. I also picked (and ate) some of the best grapes I've ever had.

Luckily, the crops we grow are harvested by cabbed tractors with a/c. :-) But, prepping them, fixing them, loading, fueling, etc puts Hubby and then men sweltering in the triple index South Texas heat.

Great post!

Joyful Things said...

If you stick one raspberry cane in the ground you will end up with raspberries growing everywhere - and that's why you need the goat. You know... you can freeze raspberries so that you can enjoy ratinis all year long. Not so good on the breakfast cereal but great in the drinks!

Unknown said...

What beautiful countryside!

Unknown said...

Wonderful blog Gary. I could write some really funny experiences with goats, so damn smart those devils are. And after they get the best of you, you swear they are laughing at you.
Sheep are really lovable, I mean lovable to the extreme. Gets them into trouble all the time. hahahhaa
Berries are scrumptious, and delicious, mmmmmm
Lovely photos of you and Maude. Your adventures always, always, make us smile....thank you! :)

Unknown said...

Since they're Japanese beetles, I bet they shed their kimonos. :-D And here I thought the Japanese were more private about their "pillowing".

I love that you got to exult in the berries you love so much. Freeze a bunch, so you don't end up paying so much in the off-season.

Busy Bee Suz said...

The shot catching the insects is um...um....really cool. :)
I think there is a 12 step program for your fruit addiction.

Susan as Herself said...

When I was a kid we'd spend entire LONG HOT days with my grandparents picking wild berries in secret fields they knew about. Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and those tiny sweet strawberries. I always ate more than I put in the bucket! YUM!!!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.