Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, July 23, 2011

burning up.....

Not burn me down (warning: excellent heavy metal but not to everyone's taste).











(new pottery by Gary Rith)
Sure, you see the kiln on here, headed up to 2200 degrees on a nearly 100 degree day. The studio is a seperate but attached part of the house, and I tried to get my work done before it got hot in there (NO AC) and then I mixed glaze, as you see, in the pleasant basement, and then the wife comes home, we have the excellENT picnic (GO ANDERSON VALLEY beers with the horned bear cans!) and finally, watched that great movie LA STORY with Steve Martin...back in the basement (the basement is scary and full of spiders and dirt but soooo cooool).

**I should note: Jen yesterday commented, logically, that maybe I should not fire the kiln for a few days. I have a massive artist market in Ithaca Friday afternoon and need to make and fire the pots and then sell them. You cannot tell the baker he can't bake the buns because it is too hot! He has to earn money!

8 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

awesome fishy & frog bowl... i felt cooler just looking at it! we fired a bisque kiln yesterday, very thankful that it is outside of the studio & house. it's is TFH out!

jim said...

nice looking pots amigo and nice looking food too and nice looking beer too.

Hilary said...

I love the colour of these pieces. I can't imagine how hot it must be with that kiln going.

Unknown said...

The new pieces are awesome! Hope it cool down for you soon!!! Meanwhile cool beer helps;o)

Unknown said...

Earning money is hot.


LOL!

gz said...

Hope the market went well.
Firing when its hot?...Start very early!!

Unknown said...

Love the studio photos, great! Mixing glazes is messy, but so way interesting. Makes one feel like a "Mad Scientist"! hahahha!
gosh, love the new pottery, the fish are really great! I just adore seeing the characters, personalities, and then how you combine them. EXCELLENT! :)
The picnic is so wonderful, dig the curious George shirt! Yummy looking picnic.
Your the bomb, and sell a million pots at the show! I know you will.....

Reverend Awesome said...

I love seeing your characters come to life too! That fish is soooo wonderful! Blowing bubbles and kisses.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.