Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

my heart is not in it....

Had a message from a shop today, could I do some heart stuff for a February Valentine's exhibit?
I have done alot of heart stuff and it is cute, but I am not in the mood at all...and if you know me well, you know that I can be moody and prickly about what I am making. In 2010 I am making what I feel like. Maybe in the summer I'll make some heart things...or maybe not....
Frankly, I work best when I am excited about something, and don't want to make a half-hearted effort.
SO, high on the satisfaction list is what I am making today--including corduroy teapot and these different elephant cups----with the trunk going up, instead of my usual down...and they are lookin' good...


One of the most awesome tunes EVAH even if the ending is not as satisfying as it could be.....

15 comments:

Jeannette StG said...

You're an artist, so you are allowed "moods" :) how otherwise can we create something unusual? Like the elephant trunks going up!

Kari Weaver said...

Trunks up means good luck!

Julia said...

Love the elephant mugs!

I don't mind doing hearts as long as I can make them weepy and melancholy. Probably not big sellers at Valentines, though!

Matt Grimmitt said...

Alice in Chains!!!! Gary you are way too cool. You gotsta make what you wants to make when you wants to make it!

Busy Bee Suz said...

If your heart ain't in it, don't make hearts!!!
The "trunks up" are sweet!!

Susan as Herself said...

You know, two of those elephant trunks aiming up across from each other could form a heart shape... Just sayin'...

cindy shake said...

Love all those shapes -especially the teapot in front has a GREAT spout!

If your heart aint into it, DON't make it. At least if my heart isn't into it then it shows -poorly!

...sorry but I LOVE hearts, especially winged hearts :o) I know kind o' sappy but they always seem happy :o)) So I guess, I heart hearts.

Trish said...

Be true to yourself :).
Trunks up...cool.
T.

Unknown said...

Trunks up mean their good luck stays in! Love them!

You gotta make what feels good for you.

Reverend Awesome said...

Do anatomical hearts.
I love the elephant cups! Sooo cute. Your heart was in those. For sure.

Unknown said...

Did you say that you didn't want to make hearts half-heartedly? ;)

Elephants rock... right next to giraffes.

Barbara said...

Ooh, trunkandles!

Kim Hines said...

love the elephant cups! ...love alice in chains too. ;)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

I absolutely love the snouts going up!! Great job, GR!

Anonymous said...

You made beautiful heart cups last year. I regret not buying any.
However, you couldn't be an artist and make the same thing every year! That is what machines do. Pffft!!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.